If we are not able to help resolve your dispute, or you need more information, one of these services may be able to assist.

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria provides general information and advice for both consumers and builders to assist them throughout the duration of a building project. This includes information on building contract requirements, plans and permits, and building as an owner builder.

CAV also provides advice on the steps to try and resolve a building dispute before applying to DBDRV.

For more information:

Victorian Building Authority (VBA)

The VBA administers and enforces the Building Act 1993, including regulating building and plumbing practitioners.

It undertakes inspections, investigations and audits to ensure builders comply with their obligations, under the building regulations and the Building Code of Australia.

For more information, visit the VBA website.

Victorian Managed Insurance Authority (VMIA)

The VMIA issues domestic building insurance policies for building contracts that exceed $16,000.

It insures a building owner against defective or incomplete building work where the builder dies, becomes bankrupt, disappears or has failed to comply with a VCAT or court order made after 1 July 2015.

For more information, visit the Domestic Building Insurance section of the VMIA website.

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

VCAT hears domestic building disputes that were first lodged with DBDRV, when:

  • DBDRV has rejected the dispute or the dispute has not been resolved at conciliation
  • an owner or builder "ends" the building contract after a dispute resolution order has been issued, or
  • the dispute is outside our jurisdiction.

For more information, visit the Building and Construction section of the VCAT website.

Was this page helpful?