We offer a flexible and tailored service for resolving domestic building disputes between parties. Our nationally accredited dispute resolution officers will facilitate the conciliation and assist the parties to come up with ways to resolve their dispute. For more information, view our About us page.

Who can apply

  • Building owners
  • Builders
  • Sub-contractors
  • Architects

Types of disputes we can help resolve

  • Defective or incomplete building work
  • Delays
  • Issues with payment
  • Issues about the domestic building contract

Eligibility checklist

To be eligible for our dispute resolution service, your dispute must:

  • involve the building owner, and
  • not be the subject of a Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) proceeding, currently or previously, and
  • not relate to building work that is more than 10 years old, and
  • be about domestic building work including construction, renovation, alteration, extension, demolition, improvement or (some) repairs to a home.

Please note: Your dispute may not be eligible if the building owner has directly engaged only one trade (for example, plumbing or painting) and the work is not part of more extensive domestic building work.

How to apply

Before you apply, you need to be clear about the issues that are in dispute, and have taken reasonable steps to try to resolve the dispute with the other party yourself. For more information, view our Tips to help you resolve your dispute page.

If we cannot assist with your dispute, view our Other helpful services page.

Applying directly to VCAT

If your dispute is eligible for our service, you must apply to resolve your dispute through us before applying to VCAT, except if:

  • You lodged your dispute with Building Advice and Conciliation Victoria (BACV) prior to 26 April 2017.
  • You need to apply for an injunction to immediately stop the other party from doing something, or make the other party do something immediately.

For more information on applying directly to VCAT, visit the Domestic Building Claims page on the VCAT website.

Was this page helpful?